American Food 2.0: United to Feed the Planet
What Is Expo Milano 2015?
• The next World’s Fair is in Milan, Italy from May 1 to October 31, 2015
• With the theme “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life,” the Expo will promote a global dialogue about the future of our food system
• The United States of America is among 147 participating nations
The USA Pavilion at Expo Milano 2015
• The USA Pavilion, “American Food 2.0: United to Feed the Planet,” will showcase American leadership on global food issues, including food security and policy, science and technology, nutrition and health, and culinary culture.
• The main components of the USA Pavilion program are:
o Farm to Table and Back to Farm – Interactive exhibits taking visitors through the food system
o Innovation Challenge and Hackathon – Bringing together creative minds to solve food system issues
o Food Forum and Beard Talks – Top- level gatherings in the U.S. and Italy
o Food Truck Nation – Celebrating the modern street food movement
o U.S. Cultural Events – Marching bands to movie stars
o Student Ambassador Program – 120 students from the U.S. welcoming visitors
o James Beard American Restaurant – A
rotating roster of great U.S. chefs
• The U.S. Department of State has selected the Friends of the U.S. Pavilion Milano 2015 as its private sector partner to work with the U.S. government to develop and implement an official American presence at the Expo. The Friends of the U.S. Pavilion includes the James Beard Foundation and the International Culinary Center, in association with the American Chamber of Commerce in Italy.