The holidays will be here before we know it. And the holidays brings the Toys for Tots drive. Delivering toys to an average of 7 million children each year, Toys for Tots welcomes all the help it can get. It began in 1947 with one U.S. Marine Unit delivering 5,000 toys to less fortunate children in Los Angeles and today the organization has representation in nearly 780 communities and all 50 states. Toys“R”Us provides significant support to Toys for Tots and there are ways for your listeners to help out too.
Lieutenant General Pete Osman, USMC (Ret), is President and Chief Executive Officer for the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation.
• Local info: General Osman will provide an update on this year’s toy drive in your local market, including the number of children served and status on toy collections, to date.
• The increased requests for toys. Although many of us now see the recession as a thing of the past, those in the lower economic groups have yet to see full recovery. We’ve also have a tremendous increase in support requests for areas impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
• The struggle to raise toys and dollars. In recent years Marines and volunteers have had a number of challenges to raise toys for their annual holiday program. Many families, who have given in the past, no longer have the extra cash to purchase a toy for a less fortunate child.
• How and where to help. Toys are collected at all Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us locations nationwide through Friday, December 15, and monetary donations will be collected at all stores through December 24 and online at Toysrus.com/ToysforTots or Toysfortots.org.
• Price Match Promise. This year, Toys“R”Us is also conducting a Price Match Promise that will benefit Toys for Tots. If a consumer finds a better price elsewhere, Toys“R”Us will match it – plus donate $1 to Toys for Tots for every price they match in store — up to $1 million dollars!!