At the recent annual meeting of Boating Writers International (BWI) at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show, eight BoatUS Magazine features were honored for excellence in journalism in the 20th Annual BWI Writing Contest. Judged by active members of the boating media, this year’s contest attracted 370 entries in categories ranging from fishing to travel, boat tests to social media. Each and every BoatUS Magazine editor earned at least one Award or Certificate of Merit in this year’s contest – a first for the national boating publication that has the largest circulation in the US.
To view the winning entries, go to www.BoatUS.com/Magazine/BWIWinners.asp. The entry categories and features are:
- 2nd Place Boating Adventures: “A Thoroughly Impractical Guide For Going To Sea,” by Associate Editor Chris Landers chronicles how a two-week tour on a square-rigger ends up lasting five years. (Award sponsor: Yamaha Marine Group)
- 2nd Place Electronics: “Man Versus Machine,” by Electronics Editor Lenny Rudow, which attempts to answer the question: Are humans still the most intelligent entity on a boat? (Award sponsor: Jeppesen Marine)
- 2nd Place Fishing: “God Bless The Walleye,” by BoatUS Trailering Magazine Editor Pat Piper, which looks at the spiritual and political connections to the silvery-brown fish. (Award sponsor: Suzuki Motor Corporation)
- Certificate of Merit, Ethics and Environment: “The Arms Race Against Invasives,” by Executive Editor Mike Vatalaro, which discusses fighting invaders with natural solutions. (Award sponsor: West Marine)
- Certificate of Merit, Boating Issues, News and Analysis: “Dreaming Of A Dock On The Bay,” by Managing Editor Ann Dermody, which asks readers: Could this be the best time ever to buy a boat slip? (Award sponsor Mercury Marine)
- Certificate of Merit, Ethics and Environment: “Is Copper Bottom Paint Sinking?” by Associate Editor Ryck Lydecker, which asks the question: Will more states follow Washington’s ban on copper-based anti-fouling coatings? (Award sponsor: West Marine)
- Certificate of Merit, Boating Issues, News and Analysis: “May Day, May Day? No Way!” by Associate Editor Ryck Lydecker, which discusses how a false distress call can quickly lead to mayhem. (Award sponsor: Mercury Marine)
- Certificate of Merit Boating Lifestyles: How I Met Your Mother, by Contributing Editor Tom Neale, chronicles the heartwarming story of how a chance encounter leads to a lifetime of happiness on the water. (Award sponsor: Discover Boating)
“From the hundreds of entries from marine journalists all over the country,” said BoatUS Magazine Editorial Director Bernadette Bernon, “I’m extremely proud that each of our editors was chosen for BWI writing honors this year. It’s exciting to us that our team is considered one of the best in the marine industry!”
For more information on BoatUS Magazine, go to www.BoatUS.com/Magazine.
BoatUS – Boat Owners Association of The United States – is the nation’s leading advocate for recreational boaters providing government representation, programs and money-saving services. Its flagship publication, BoatUS Magazine, is the largest circulation recreational marine publication in the US reaching over half-million members with engaging content that speaks to their passion for the boating lifestyle and experience on the water.