Steven J. Backman, a San Francisco native, has been creating toothpick art for nearly 40 years. What began as an elementary school project has become a passion for creating one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
Steven recently restored a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge he made from 30,000 toothpicks and glue. Measuring thirteen feet in length, the sculpture will be on view at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco from April 9th thru May 30th, 2012. May also marks the 75th Anniversary celebration of this historic landmark.
Ripley’s Believe It or Not! is making this incredible toothpick marvel available for public display at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. The hotel is located at 5 Embarcadero Center, San Francisco, CA 94111.
During a recent interview, Steven said that he is very happy his work of art is back in San Francisco to mark such a monumental celebration for the Golden Gate Bridge. It will be on permanent display at the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Museum at Fisherman’s Wharf in June.
Several of Steven’s other well known works can be seen by visiting www.toothpickart.com
Steven’s passion for toothpicks has led him to create other amazing sculptures, including a miniature replica of the White House he created from a single toothpick. Steven is continuing his legacy by creating a new series of toothpick art.
San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee Honors Steven J. Backman
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
5 Embarcadero Center,
San Francisco, California, USA 94111
Tel: +1 415 788 1234 Fax: +1 415 398 2567
Maps & Directions
Luxury and location converge in perfect balance at Hyatt Regency San Francisco. The only AAA Four Diamond downtown San Francisco hotel situated right on the Embarcadero waterfront, our guests will enjoy immediate access to both the Financial District and the city’s most famous attractions. You’ll find the historic Ferry Building on one side of our expansive San Francisco California hotel, the ferry to Alcatraz and the Bay on the other, and stunning views all around. With so many options, you may choose to wander through Chinatown to Fisherman’s Wharf, shop in Union Square or board the cable cars for a riding tour of the city.
Equally impressive are our extensive in-house amenities, with venues created to host any number of group events, tempting dining choices and, of course, the impeccable service that is the hallmark of our hotel in downtown San Francisco.
Hyatt Gets Social:
Want more information? Don’t forget to become our Facebook Fan and follow us on Twitter for the latest on area news and events.
View our Hyatt Destinations San Francisco city guide for insider information on local culture, restaurants, shopping, events and more.
Rooms & Amenities
· 802 spacious, modern guestrooms with city or Bay views / 32″ LCD TVs
· Hyatt Grand Bed / iHome stereo with iPod docking station
· Generous work desk / deluxe bath with Portico products
· Exclusive new Regency Club with daily snack and beverage service
· Hyatt Fast Board / PDA & Express Check-in
· Car rental / babysitting referrals
· Knowledgeable Concierge staff / E-Concierge / iConcierge available 24 hours on-site
· Major transportation hub for BART, cable cars and ferries
Dining & Entertainment
· Eclipse Restaurant
· Eclipse Lounge
· In-Room Dining
· 24 hour StayFitTM gym
· Fitness Concierge / Yoga Away
· Preferred access to Club One Fitness
· Jogging / walking paths on waterfront / Bike and Roll Bike Rentals and Tours
· De Young Museum
· Golden Gate Bridge / Fisherman’s Wharf / Ferry Building / Union Square
· Lombard Street / Chinatown / North Beach – Coit Tower / Wine Country
Meetings & Events
· 67,000 square feet of flexible event venues
· Exhibit hall / boardrooms / ballrooms
· Creative catering featuring Personal Preference Dining
· Experience event, meeting and wedding planners on staff