Listen to “WHEN GETTING YOUR PRESCRIPTON MEDICATION DO YOU KNOW GENERICS AUTHORIZED GENERICS MAY BE AVAILABLE” on Spreaker.
When it comes to prescriptions, it’s always important to understand how to access your medications to avoid running out of them, especially during these unprecedented times. Everyone should be communicating closely with their healthcare providers to ensure they are able to refill their medication in a timely manner.
It’s also important for people to know they may have some choices when it comes to the types of generic medications they take. When it comes to prescription medications, it’s important to make informed decisions – starting with knowing your options when filling or refilling prescriptions. Consumers should know about medication options such as brand name, generics, and Authorized Generics. A few key points on this topic are highlighted below.
To begin with, consumers should know the differences, between brand-name medications, generics and a category of medications called Authorized Generics.
• A generic medicine works in the same way as its brand name version and is required to meet the quality and manufacturing standards of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
• Generic medications can have multiple manufacturers and may vary in size, shape, and color compared to the brand name.1
• Authorized Generics are made by the manufacturer of the original brand-name drug but don’t use the brand name on the label. They may also have different markings or, in limited circumstances, a different color.
• Authorized Generics are available at generic pricing.
• A number of factors will determine how much patients will pay for their medicine, including insurance co-pays, pharmacy charges, and savings cards. Patients should contact their insurer or pharmacy for specific cost information.
• While not every medication with a generic option has an Authorized Generic version, many do. Authorized Generics are not new, but not all pharmacies stock them and many people may not know about them or how to access them.
Pharmacist Dr. Joel Zive, BS, PharmD will help consumers clear up any confusion regarding brand name medications, generics and Authorized Generics.
• 1 US Food and Drug Administration. Generic drugs: Questions and Answers. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/questions-answers/generic-drugs- questions-answers. Accessed February 18, 2020.
#medical #choices #medication #prescription #generic #authorized #generics #understand #avoid #running #unprecedented #times #communicate #health #care #healthcare #refill #manner #timely #important #important #options #dr #joel #zive #pharmd #bs #brand #names #category #drug #food