Each student and staff member brings to the New York City public school community the richness of our City’s cultural diversity and the desire for respect.
The NYC DOE is committed to maintaining a safe and supportive learning environment that is free from harassment, intimidation and/or bullying and from discrimination based on actual or perceived race, color, citizen-ship/immigration status, religion, creed, national origin, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or weight.
The NYC DOE launched the citywide Respect For All program in 2007 to build the capacity of staff and students to actively promote a community of inclusion in each of our schools.
The seeds of Respect For All (RFA) were sown in the aftermath of 9/11, when the NYC DOE began a concerted citywide effort to promote respect for diversity and combat harassment, discrimination and bullying. This initiative provided professional development for K-12 school staff, as well as direct services to students. The goal of this work is to ensure that every NYC school provides a learning environment where all children feel safe, valued and respected,
Mouse over the timeline below to learn more about the NYC DOE’s ongoing efforts to ensure that all students in our City have the opportunity to learn in a safe and supportive environment.
· Citywide full-day conferences continue on Promoting Respect for Diversity/Preventing Hate Crime.
· Full-day professional development on bullying and cyberbullying, specifically designed for counselors in middle and high schools, is implemented.
· The annual Respect For All Award is created to recognize schools for their work to foster positive interpersonal and intergroup relations, and presented during RFA Week to schools that have done exemplary work to promote Respect For All.
Respect For All Brochures
· Respect for All in NYC Public Schools (English)
· يم لس ل مج ممراحلام ماعسم ارمرمسم يف رويويو نيرمس (Arabic)
· বাংলা প্রচারপত্র (Bengali)
· 在紐約市公立學校裏 (Chinese)
· Respect pour Tous (French)
· Respè pou tout moun (Haitian Creole)
· 뉴욕시 공립학교의 (Korean)
· Взаимное уважение: (Russian)
· Respeto para Todos en las escuelas públicas de la Ciudad de Nueva York (Spanish)
· ےک رہش کرایوین ںیم ںولوکسا کلبپ مارتحا ےئلیک کیا رہ (Urdu)
Respect for All Poster